UNDERSTAND YOUR COVERAGE
Please take a few moments to read your policy to be sure that you understand the coverages and deductibles you have chosen and that your mortgage information is up to date. Contact your agent if you wish to make any updates to your policy.
REPORTING YOUR CLAIM
Call us 24/7 at 1-866-270-8430 to report your claim. You can also file your claim online. Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Name, policy number and a valid contact phone number where we may reach you.
- Type of loss (theft, wind, fire, water, hail, etc.)
- Description of damage to your property.
A friendly examiner will be assigned to assist you through the claims process. If necessary, an independent adjuster will schedule a time to inspect and estimate the damage to your property. The independent adjuster will work with you, and the contractor or repair facility, to agree on the cost of repairs. DO NOT SIGN AN ASSIGNMENT OF BENEFITS CONTRACT (AOB) WITH A VENDOR OR CONTRACTOR. By signing an AOB contract you will lose all rights to the insurance claim, including the right to mediate the claim or to make any decisions regarding the claim, including repairs.
WATER DAMAGE CLAIMS ARE THE #1 CAUSE OF LOSS IN FLORIDA
- Dishwashers, refrigerators, toilets, washing machines, and water supply lines are frequently the cause of water damage claims.
- Water intrusion may impact walls, floors, ceilings, cabinetry, and the contents of your home, and can cause mold damage as well.
- The average water loss claim costs over $6,000 to repair.
- At the first signs of water damage, be sure to turn off the water supply to the home and call your insurance company IMMEDIATELY.
HOMEOWNERS BEWARE, ALWAYS CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE CARRIER FIRST, AFTER A LOSS
- There is a relatively new trend developing in Florida called Assignment of Benefits (AOB).
- What is Assignment of Benefits (AOB)?
- Over the last few years an increased amount of homeowners have been talked into unknowingly signing contracts or forms with contractors, dry out companies, roofers, etc. (third-party vendors) that include Assignment of Benefits (AOB) language.
- If you sign a contract or form with AOB language, you could be forfeiting part or all of your right to collect your claim settlement funds directly from your insurance carrier, thus losing control of the claims process.
- After a water loss you typically call a plumber to fix the leak.
- Do not allow the plumber to contact a dry-out company on your behalf.
- Many of the plumbers get paid large cash fees by recommending certain dry-out companies.
- Always contact your insurance company first.
- The insurance company has an interest in minimizing your loss.
- If you call after hours the insurance company will still respond immediately.
- Do not sign any contracts until first speaking with your insurance company or agent FIRST.
MAKE SAFETY A PRIORITY
Claims vary substantially in severity. The safety of you and your family should be your top priority immediately after a loss.
- Be sure to report downed electric lines or gas leaks to the local utility company.
- Do not enter your home if it has sustained any major structural damage.
- Turn off the main water supply to the home in the event of a burst pipe.
- If there is standing water present in the home, keep the electricity turned off.
REMEMBER YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES FOLLOWING A CLAIM
Once you have assessed that it is safe to proceed, you can begin taking reasonable steps to protect your property from any further damage.
- Board up any broken windows or doors.
- Place a weighted tarp down over any openings in the roof. (Do not nail the tarp into the roof)
- In the event of a water damage claim, contact YOUR INSURANCE CARRIER IMMEDIATELY AND a reputable dry out company.
- If your home has sustained smoke or fire damage contact a local smoke/fire remediation company for assistance.
Take photos of any property damage and maintain records of any receipts for purchases and services utilized as a result of the loss. For your protection, do not sign forms with third party vendors that include AOB language.
Give prompt notice to us by calling 1-866-270-8430 24/7.